The Electrical Design Engineer plans, designs and creates hardware that meets the needs of our OEM customer’s electronic and communication business requirements, as well as Mitek consumer product requirements. The Electrical Design Engineer is ultimately responsible for developing a product that meets the needs and expectations of the customer in a fashion that is efficient, on time and error free, and must work closely with the sales department, mechanical engineers, project managers, and software engineering department to achieve this.
- Create documentation for projects including schematics, block diagrams, state diagrams, product descriptions, design inputs, design evaluations, and other required documents per ISO 9001 Standards, company policies and/or procedures.
- Take ownership of the design input and design evaluation documents and shepherd them through the Mitek development stage gate processes as assigned.
- Participate in hardware design reviews across the organization to ensure that designs are on time, in budget and in line with customers/sales expectations.
- Debug prototypes of new boards, including documentation of test procedures, test specifications, test jigs, etc.
- Create Schematics and/or layouts for hardware projects, this includes the following:
- Schematic files with no DRC errors,
- Bill of Materials (BOM) in an appropriate format,
- Detailed instructions for layout,
- All necessary files for completed layout of board,
- All necessary files for manufacturing of PCB.
- Provide technical assistance and resolution when electrical or engineering problems are encountered before, during and after construction.
- Must be able to perform feasibility studies, design and construct specialized test jigs/fixtures for testing developmental stage items, breadboard specialized circuitry for evaluation and review and interface with suppliers as needed.
- Will verify second source part compatibility via comprehensive testing, train technicians on technical aspects and conduct reverse engineering of competitive products.
- Responsible for the electrical design, development, testing and debugging of circuitry for audio products and PCB design using schematic capture software.
- Assemble electrical and electronic systems and prototypes according to engineering data and knowledge of electrical principles, using hand tools and measuring instruments.
- Modify electrical prototypes, parts, assemblies and systems to correct functional deviations.
- Set up and operate test equipment to evaluate performance of developmental parts, assemblies or systems under simulated operating conditions and record results.
- Communicate with design and manufacturing engineers to bring new products from concept to production.
- Provides support for customer problems/complaints. This could be in-house, telephone, Microsoft Teams, on site, etc.
- Collaborate with electrical engineers and other personnel to identify, define and solve development problems.
- Analyze and interpret test information to resolve design-related problems.
- Prepare project cost and work-time estimates.
- Draw or modify diagrams and write engineering specifications to clarify design details and functional criteria of experimental electronics units.
- Plan, schedule and monitor work of support personnel to assist supervisor.
- Review existing electrical engineering criteria to identify necessary revisions, deletions or amendments to outdated material.
- Plan method and sequence of operations for developing and testing experimental electronic and electrical equipment.
- Proficiency in the use of electronic test equipment, comprehensive understanding of electronic circuitry theory.
- Comprehensive understanding of mechanical PCB design for audio and power circuitry.
- Existing knowledge of 12V design preferred.
Bachelor's Degree or higher in Electrical Engineering
Minimum of three to five years OEM/consumer circuit design experience required
Minimum of three to five years in consumer audio design required
Minimum of three to five years in OEM environment preferred
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Proficiency with MS Office (Excel, Word, and Outlook)
- Proficiency with oscilloscopes, meters, and other basic lab equipment.
- Familiarity with CAD tools
- Sufficient knowledge of embedded systems, hardware, and firmware
- Sufficient knowledge of DSP algorithms and programming methods
- Proficiency in Altium electrical design software
- Knowledge of audio concepts, circuits, embedded systems, PLD programming
- Knowledge of Surface Mount Technology required
- Programming in assembly, C, and C++ on limited basis, such as for new design testing
- Ability to travel within the US or international
- One year ISO work environment a plus.
- Experience developing product to meet OEM quality standards and process. Experience with DFM, DFMEA, PFMEA, PPAP, and APQP is desired.
Normal office setting, except when traveling