The Senior Power Electronics Engineer will design, develop and improve new and existing power supply and amplifier technologies, circuits and integrated end product solutions for MiTek’s audio markets.
- Design PWM/Class D audio power amplifiers up to and in excess of 1kW.
- Design offline, PFC and DC/DC switch-mode power supplies up to and excess of 1kW.
- Generate engineering specifications for products and systems.
- Perform computer simulation, analysis and testing of circuits and systems to deliver high quality designs.
- Design analog-digital circuits and systems hardware including ADC/DAC, preamps, feedback, gate drive, cooling/protection/monitoring systems, etc.
- Develop and execute detailed test and verification plans.
- Work with development, production and quality teams to ensure designs are delivered on schedule meeting manufacturing, quality and cost requirements.
- Research and evaluate new technologies and applications for switch-mode power supplies and audio power amplifiers.
- Contribute to company intellectual property through invention disclosures.
- Occasional foreign and domestic travel to attend reviews, visit vendors and attend conferences and workshops.
- Collaborate with electrical engineers and other personnel to identify, define and solve development problems.
- Analyze and interpret test information to resolve design-related problems.
- Prepare project cost and work-time estimates.
- Provide technical support for customer problems/complaints.
- BSEE with 5 years or equivalent experience in power supply or power amplifier design
- MSEE with emphasis in power electronics, desired.
- Professional or non-professional interest/background in audio
- Experience with various CAD tools (e.g. Altium, Solidworks, etc.)
- Specific experience designing class D audio power amplifiers
- Experience developing power-control systems using microprocessors, DSP, FPGA, etc.
- Mechanical and thermal systems design experience
- Knowledge of FEA or similar analysis and simulation tools
- Programming skills such as MATLAB, Verilog/VHDL, C/C++, VB, etc.
- Experience with off-shore sourcing and manufacturing integration
- Demonstrated strong technical understanding and experience in the simulation, design and development of various PWM power conversion topologies, circuits and systems.
- Demonstrated strong technical understanding and experience with PCB layout and electromechanical systems design of high voltage/current/power PWM electronics.
- Experience with power/analog/digital circuit analysis and simulation using SPICE or equivalent.
- Component level design experience with power conversion semiconductors and ICs including BJTs, MOSFETS, IGBTs, opto-isolators, gate drivers, modulators, current sensors, etc.
- Working knowledge in the specification and design of high power/frequency switch-mode inductors, transformers and other electromagnetics.
- Working knowledge of industry standard EMC and Safety regulatory compliance requirements and design best practices.
- Ability to design and conduct real world tests for component, electrical, thermal, and mechanical circuits and systems.
- Hands-on experience with test and debug tools including oscilloscopes, meters, network analyzers, logic analyzers, power analyzers, etc.
- Practical knowledge of required steps to bring designs from concept to production including basic understanding of manufacturing processes and design for manufacturing.
- Good written and oral communications skills and use of Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to learn our internal software as needed.
Normal Office Setting