The Mechanical Design Technician position assists in managing new product development as well as product improvements. Takes direction and provides specifications and drawings related to the design, development, and implementation of hardware for products. Performs a wide variety of tasks to support the research and development department. Must be able to take a project from start to finish, and complete other duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and/or department manager. Works with other teams throughout the corporation. Must be able to learn and develop skills needed and applied within engineering disciplines.
Read and apply Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) as needed on tooling and part drawings.
Perform necessary mechanical testing on prototypes.
Problem trouble-shooting and communication.
Provide solutions by taking direction from immediate supervisor as well as utilize experience and judgment to plan and accomplish given goals.
Review project instructions, specifications, and blueprints to ascertain test specifications, procedures,
Fabricate and assemble new or modified mechanical components for products based on direction from immediate supervisor.
Setup and completion of unit/component tests. Provide test results in relation to design or rated specifications and test objectives.
Discuss changes in design, method of manufacture and assembly, and drafting techniques and procedures with Partners and coordinate corrections. Confer with other technicians and submit reports of test results to Engineering Department and recommend design or material changes.
Responsible for generating 2D part and assembly drawings, including detailed bill of materials and part comments.
Able to assist prototype and test apparatus set-ups, and observe and record prototype test results.
Test products or equipment, using test devices such as calipers, micrometers and/or other measuring devices
Associates Degree in Mechanical Drafting or Equivalent Experience.
0+ years of mechanical design/engineering experience in relevant field.
· Proficient with Microsoft Windows and Office Software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
· Proficient with PLM software is preferred .
· Proficient with Solidworks (CSWA and CSWPA, certifications recommended).
· Proficient with Solidworks Simulation is preferred. Proficiency in other simulation packages may apply.
· Experience with APQP design environment desired.
· Experience with manufacturing processes related to plastics and metal fabrication preferred.
· Preferably experience with toolings for sheet-metal, extrusions, wood fabrication, injection molding, die casting, blow molding, and roto-molding.
· Experience with electronic wire harnesses and connectors desired.
· Able to apply GD&T to drawings.
· Comfortable with multiple and simultaneous responsibilities.
· Manufacturing environment, engineering, and product development experience.
· Due to the amount of written communication, clear writing skills must be demonstrated.
Normal office setting, except when working in the manufacturing facility.
|Reach Above Shoulder|
|Squat or Kneel|
|Lift / Carry|
|10 lbs or less|
|11 - 20 lbs|
|21 - 50 lbs|
|51 - 100 lbs|
|Over 100 lbs|
|Push / Pull|
|12 lbs or less|
|13 - 25 lbs|
|26 - 40 lbs|
|41 - 100 lbs|
|Other Physical Requirements|
|Ability to read from a computer monitor/fine print|
|Ability to speak effectively via phone/in person|
|Ability to hear via phone or in person|
|Ability to wear Personal Protection Equipment as required by position|