The Director of Software Engineering is responsible for overseeing the Software and Firmware engineering function in developing, releasing, and maintain software and firmware applications/operating systems according to MiTek business needs. Establishes policies and procedures that produce high-quality software, firmware, and service.
- Lead software & firmware development teams to develop, document, and maintain applications.
- Participate actively in the software & firmware development process to drive on-time release date commitments.
- Responsible for overall system architecture and ensuring scalable designs for future expansion and updates.
- Assist software & firmware development teams in attaining optimal team performance by removing technical obstacles.
- Develop and manage software & firmware engineering applications utilizing standard development tools.
- Work effectively with Product Managers and Project Managers to ensure delivery against agreed priorities.
- Stimulate hiring, career plans, training as well as performance reviews for the software & firmware engineering team.
- Review all documents related to product requirements and participate in product brainstorming sessions.
- Responsibile to analyze, design, develop and support all software & firmware application systems.
- Provide employee coaching, mentoring, development, and team building.
- Ensure the team’s adherence to the development gate system.
- Build lean, technically strong, accountable, fearless, high-performing teams that can collaborate and challenge each other to produce the best outcome.
- Create, implement and maintain a continuous improvement plan for software & firmware development.
- Ensure that technology standards and best practices are maintained across the organization.
- Drive consistent standards and approaches throughout the development teams.
- Establish clear organizational structures and succession plans aligned with appropriate responsibilities, accountabilities, and personal development for all development staff in line with anticipated growth.
- Manage all software & firmware engineering budget and resource allocation.
- Manage joint development with 3rd party vendors as well as outsourced development.
- Hire engineers and coordinate their training.
- Undertake additional tasks and responsibilities as may be reasonably expected of the role and as necessary to achieve the objectives of the software & firmware teams and MiTek goals.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) or Master in Computer Science
- 10+ years of experience in leading engineering teams, solving complex problems in enterprise offerings, analyzing challenges, and establishing strategies and processes for resolutions.
- 5+ years of experience in leading global teams spanning over 30 members.
- Experience leading senior professionals, including managers and architects.
- Experience with deploying Test Driven Development.
- Experience with audio and video network transports preferred.
- Experience with large network devices preferred.
- Experience with DSP (Digital Signal Processing) preferred.
- Comfortable with software & firmware code development and leadership.
- Ability to merge agile with waterfall project management philosophies to deliver software and firmware on time alongside hardware.
- Leadership abilities with a strategic mind.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Proficient with all MS Office Software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Ability to learn MiTek’s internal systems and other programs as needed.
- Willing to travel on a periodic basis.
- Comfortable with multiple, simultaneous responsibilities.
MiTek/AtlasIED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Normal office setting